Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, May 25, 2009

I DID IT!!!!

*EDIT* I found out my actual time. It was 1 hour 3 minutes and 48 seconds. Here's the breakdown of my miles:

1. 9:39
2. 10:43
3. 10.52
4. don't know
5. don't know
6. 10:10

Megan, Kristi & Kerri
Today, I ran the Bolder Boulder. This was my first 10K race. For those not into racing, a 10K is the same as 6.2 miles. I was very proud of myself for not just finishing, but jogging at a pretty steady pace the whole time without having to walk once. I finished in about 1 hour 10 minutes. I'll know the official stats later on when they send out a sheet with my time on it. Each runner has a special electronic tag that they wear on their shoe that records their speed for each mile of the race. They then send out a chart showing you how fast you ran and what your final time is.

About 4 months ago, my friend Kristi's sister, Kerri decided she wanted to do the Bolder Boulder for a school project and invited Kristi to do it with her. Kristi in turn invited me and I said "yes." We started training back at the end of January and my best month of training was February...by far. Once we got into the whole house purchase, my running kind of fell by the wayside although I continued to run about once or twice a week up until the race.

Phil stayed home and watched Taeya while I drove to Boulder with Kristi. It was my first time spending the night away from Taeya and Phil's longest time alone with her since she was born. They did great and it was fun to get away for a day and a night to go do this.

Kristi and I stayed with her sister and her roommates in Boulder, CO. I got very little sleep (about 3 1/2 hours) and after a breakfast of oatmeal and a 1/2 cup of coffee for some caffeine, we headed out to the race about 7:00 am. Kristi had already registered us but we had to pick up our registration packets with out bibs. Our heat of the race started at approximately 8:30 and I finished at about 9:40. Kristi and I had a fun time talking on the way home. This was a big race for both of us. It was interesting because as we were running, we both got emotional at different points in the race. It was such an amazing atmosphere. There were people cheering us on at every leg of the race and some very interesting characters running as well. It was a lot of fun and I WISH I could have taken pictures throughout the race. The one from above was taken before the race while we were waiting in line for the bathrooms. I took a picture of a father/daughter team and then he offered to take one of us and he emailed it to me while we waited in line. How cool is technology?
The event was very well organized and flowed very smoothly. This is the 31st year of the Bolder Boulder and it started with about 2,800 runners and has grown to over 54,000 runners! Amazing!! I can't wait to do it again next year, hopefully. Kristi and I are already planning on running another 10K in June. If I'm not too stressed out with the house and moving, I'll be running in the Strawberry Shortcut in our area.
I am not "a runner" but had a great time today and am finding that if I want to get out and exercise, I need to have a goal like a 10K to motivate me to exercise because you can't just get up one morning and decide to do a 10k that day. It takes planning and some training. So, if you want to get in a little better shape, find a friend and challenge each other to complete a goal like this. You can do it too and you won't regret it!!

5 comments:

Miracles of the Moment said...

I am so proud of you! That is a huge accomplishment, one that I wish I could do, someday. Are you going to keep running??

Your sunny smile makes me miss you even more.

Michaela

ladybug said...

What a fantastic accomplishmnet. You should be proud of yourself. I still have you "blog" gift from a while ago. Will mail when you let me know it's ok. It is a "buch" of Mississippi daylilies, for you new yard. They will be shipped ready for the gorund. Knew you were overwhelmed now, so just let me know, and if you have a favorite color. I'd love to share.

Bethany Rose said...

Way to go! Yippee! I am happy you did it and you finished so well.
Can't wait to see you again!

Shannon said...

amazing!! Well deserved pride.

we walked 1.5 miles with the little red wagon and clocked about the same time :)

BECKY LYNN said...

Wow! Amazing! I just don't think I could do this.....I am so proud of you. What an amazing accomplishment!
-BECKY LYNN