Sunday, June 14, 2009

Double Wammie

Warning: If you don't care about our family sicknesses, don't read any further. That is ALL this post is about because that is basically all we've been dealing with lately--sickness.

I haven't been much up to posting on the blog lately and for good reason. On June 4th, Taeya started puking and pooping and sadly, didn't stop until the following Wednesday. At first, we thought it was just a 24 hour bug but after 36 hours with no end in sight, we went to the doctor's. I continued checking in with the doctor all weekend over the phone and took Taeya again in on Monday (I was very worried about dehydration). They took a stool sample on Monday and called me back on Tuesday to let me know she had Rotavirus. Yuck! That is a nasty virus. Well, that night after calling the doctor again because she hadn't peed all day and wasn't crying tears any longer, we decided to take her to the ER. They looked at her, saw she was dehydrated and said they'd give her about 200-250 mL's of fluid. Once they gave her the fluid, their plan was to wait for her to pee and send her home.

I was in the middle of changing her out of her puked on jammies when she went and found her puked on blanket to snuggle while I picked out another change of clothes.
If she was awake during the week she was sick, this is basically what she looked like if she wasn't snugging on me.
However, most of the time, she WAS snuggling on me.

Or, if Daddy was home, he was a good substitute for Mom.

He loves his sweet baby so much!

We arrived about 6:30 PM on Tuesday night and they ended up pumping 750 mL's of fluid into her and we waited until 8:00 AM...(yes...the next morning!) before she peed. Taeya and I slept (I use that word very loosely) together on the little gurney you see in the pictures. This was after a previous night with her waking up every hour with diarrhea and needing to be changed and AFTER 5 days of constantly being puked on, pooped on and caring for a very sick little girl. I was near the end of my rope when we left the hospital. I could barely see straight to drive home. However, we made it and both slept a few hours in our own beds. I was still pretty exhausted when she awoke so I asked a friend to come help out. I was so thankful that Bethany came and spent two hours or so playing with Taeya so I could sleep some more. The fluids did wonders for Taeya and she began to be herself that afternoon.
(Is it wrong of me to have brought my camera to the ER and actually took pictures of my sick baby? I must say, I DID feel bad doing it but I'm glad I have pictures to document what happened).
Mommy and Taeya right after getting the IV. THIS is the bed we BOTH slept on ALL NIGHT LONG...with the sides up.
She's cuddling the little doggy they gave her in the waiting area. Doggie's are Taeya's very favorite thing right now and they didn't know that when they gave her the stuffed animal.

After an entire night of fluids.

Sitting up and starting to feel better.
The next morning, Taeya's doctor gave me a call to let me know that her stool sample had been fully processed and not only did she have Rotavirus but she also had E-Coli poisoning...a strain which required a call to the health department. (Am I allowed to write about that on here? The health department followed up later that day and asked questions about where we had been, what we ate, where we buy all of our food. They have to try to track the source as it's a strain similar to the ones you hear about on the news.) That AND the Rotavirus is why Taeya had been so incredibly sick for 7 days. Thankfully, once Thursday rolled around, Taeya seemed back to her normal self and finally started smiling, giggling, walking, eating and drinking again.

Sadly, now Momma is sick with one of the two. I didn't feel good last Thursday and thought I was getting really sick. I asked for help from friends and thankfully started to feel better on Friday and Saturday. I thought I was completely better until today (Sunday). It has hit with a vengeance. We went on a family outing (pictures in another post eventually) and I ended up in many different bathrooms for the entire trip. I got home and took some Zofran for the nausea and am letting the rest of it run it's course. I am PRAYING that this will be over soon. I have seen more than enough vomit and diarrhea to last me a lifetime! Please pray for me if you think about it.
I promise, the next post will be MUCH happier and will have some adorable pictures of Taeya.


The love birds .. said...

Sorry to hear your family is having illness. We certainly pray for complete healing for the two of you as those illness problems sound serious and need special prayers. Get some good sunshine and watch those fluids, Love you guys.

Shannon said...

so sorry to hear of all the sick trials.

now multiply that by 4 and welcome to my world when everyone is sick. I totally felt for you.

We have the same poodle... webkinz. If it had a tag on the ear, you can play way cool games online. :)