Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree


Last week, Phil and I received a call from some church friends inviting us to go cut down Christmas trees with them. I was very excited to go find out Christmas tree since we only had to pay $10 for a permit instead of the exorbitant prices of Southern CA trees. :) So, Saturday morning we all loaded into our cars and headed for the mountain. It had been raining where we lived but as we drove up the mountain we drove into the snow. It was actually about 1-2 feet at the top of the mountain. Unfortunately, a few hundred yards before we reached our destination where everyone could park and turn around the vehicle in front of us slid into a ditch. The guys tried to push it out but it was stuck pretty good. Thankfully, the first vehicle was a Jeep with a tow rope. They came and towed out the truck. Then, the Jeep needed some pushing and finally got going backwards. When it tried to turn around it got stuck and needed some more pushing. (I stayed nice and warm inside the SUV this whole time and just watched all of the action.) All of the other vehicles had young children between the ages of 3 months to about 8 years old. We finally made it safe and sound to the parking area and loaded the kids onto sleighs and into backpacks and then went hunting for Christmas trees. As you can see from the pictures, we had to first knock the snow off of the trees in order to be able to tell if they would be good Christmas trees.





As Phil and I live on the third floor of our building, Phil had already made me promise that we were only getting a small tree. We found a beautiful little tree that we cut down and got home. It's just under 6 feet tall and very cute. It barely fit in our tree stand. We had to add something to the base to make sure the tree didn't fall over. Phil and I think it looks like a double sized Charlie Brown tree. Puma's enjoying the tree and snuggles up next to the base of it to watch what's going on. I love Christmas trees and am so thankful that I am able to have one this year. Enjoy the pictures.








6 comments:

Becca Sports said...

What an adorable tree! :) That was a lot of snow. I'm glad that we don't have that much yet...maybe we won't get any this year (wishful thinking I know).

Anonymous said...

MEgan I Just LOVE your tree! We have to get a small one this year too. but who cares...I think it's adorable! I'm glad noone was hurt in all that snow with the cars slipping and sliding around! Did it snow at your house at all? We got the most retarted snowfall I've ever seen in my life. It literally looked like God used a salt shaker on the gras...lol. Later in the day it was all washed away by yucky rain. I can't wait for a real storm!
-Rachel O.

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Although we live in the mountains of CO, if you notice me standing next to my car with the tree there's no snow on the ground. :( All of that snow was high up in the mountains. We actually did get a tiny snowfall on Sunday and there's still a bit of it remaining but we haven't gotten anything like the snow we were in when we cut down our tree. I'm hoping for a white Christmas! (It'll be my first since I moved from PA 10 1/2 years ago).

Shannon said...

that is awesome. I think the adventure of getting a tree is such a lost tradition.

A tradition that you wouldn't catch me trying to rekindle. But I still enjoy watching you do it!!

Drama Queen said...

cute tree. we have a fake one, and squiggy loves prowling underneath it!

Stephanie said...

Looks like tons of fun! I miss snow sooooooo much!