Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Working on Sleeping through the Night


Taeya is such an EASY baby to put to bed. She generally gets tired between 7 and 8 pm. She starts rubbing her eyes or getting cranky which tells me it's time for bed. I lay her down and give her her little bunny and she usually just looks up at me and smiles. Within a few minutes she's asleep. It's really that easy. She's been waking up between 2-4 times a night since she was born to get her little snacks. She's a quick eater and will eat for 5 minutes and go right back to bed. I've just been afraid to NOT feed her during the night because she's been small and I want to make sure she's not hungry and NEEDING food. The doctor told me I can start cutting back on the night feedings. Last night Taeya woke up 4 times. The first time I just held her for a minute (during which she cried). I then lay her back in her bed and she quieted right down and slept. The middle two times I fed her for 1 minute each time and lay her back in her crib and the last time I just held her for a minute and put her back to bed. She did great and was still asleep at 8:30 when we checked on her. I guess she doesn't need to eat as much as I thought she did so tonight we're going to see if we can make it with no feedings. She's such a great baby and an awesome sleeper...now we just have to make it through the night without waking up.


During the last picture, she was enjoying sitting up on the couch next to one of my tutoring students and she got tired and just fell asleep sitting up. It was too cute.

11 comments:

the Indian woman said...

Taeya sitting up and sleeping is so precious. What a cutie! Yeah for the night time sleeping too! Thankful for your improving health and good reports. Yeah!

Georgia said...

it's interesting how different each baby, and each mothers experience is. right after Ezekiel's 4 mo. doctor's appointment he stopped sleeping through the night. a month later i'm still working on getting him back to that wonderful habit!

Pops said...

Keep going Megan. Taeya will sleep through the night soon. I just know it. It will make such a difference in your life to get a full nights sleep. Don't be afraid to let her cry if you can handle it. It is really hard but can sometimes be a really quick solution too. Have fun. Seeing her sleeping on the couch is so funny. Love the pictures.

Stephanie said...

Pops is right - it will happen - I was amazed when it happened and she really did just drop that late night feeding - thankfully Allie didn't get up that many times in the night. Pops is also right - it can be tough letting them cry - but usually if we let Allie fuss for just a bit - she goes right back to sleep and is learning to put herself back to sleep - that full night of sleep is GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!! It will happen :) Praying for you that it happens soon :) Allie goes down to sleep like Tayea and it is so nice to be able to just lay them down :) Yea!

Cierra Pera said...

My girls took forever to stn! Not that you need any advice I just wanted to mention that your milk production may go down with the missed sessions. Expecially since you have the most hormones for production in the early am hours (2-6am). So if you do find a difference during the day in a few days don't worry, just add two sessions in the middle of the day for a week or so and your production should jump back up. I had a mom call last week because her daughter just turned 4 months and she thought she had no milk- since around 4 months your breasts start to wise up and aren't overfull with milk all the time! (by the way, I studied to be a Lac. Consultant- I can't help but inform women about their breasts. It's a sickness really. I'm getting help)!

Julie Danielle said...

Each baby is so different when it comes to eating in the middle of the night. It seemed like both boys went through different periods where they ate more than others. I think it was about around 7 months for each that they really stopped waking up to eat on a regular basis. You will get there. It will happen. I remember when Daniel was 2 months old sitting with my friend who had a 13 month old. She was telling me she slept for 12 hours straight. At that moment I couldn't even imagine. But then when Daniel was that age he did the same thing.

You will get there. The first year goes by so fast it is amazing. I don't let them cry until they are older. Just do what you are comfortable doing :) You know your baby and what is best for her :)

kelly ens said...

that's great news :) I know with our Taeya, I always nursed her from both sides, so when it was time to cut out her night feeding, I just cut one side out at a time, and she did just fine! Sounds like you're doing th esame thing by just feeding her for 1 minute. hopefully she sleeps through soon! :) and i can't stress enough - REALLY appreciate how well she goes to sleep. Taeya does really well now, but as an infant (0-6 mos), YIKES!
CUTE pic of her sleeping on the couch! Too funny :)

Shannon said...

four months is a little early to be training to sleep through the night. But since she doesn't seem to be arguing I guess it can't be that bad. She will let you know if she's hungry.

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

My sister and I slept through the night from about 6 or 7 weeks and I was told that once they hit 12 lbs they don't NEED to eat at night anymore. Seems to be going okay at this point. :)

jenylu said...

All three of my kids are sleeping through the night now. Let me know if you want any of my tips. lol

jenylu said...

P.S. It's getting them awake again that is the problem. Any advice???